With over 2,200 attendees at Hadoop Summit this year, it is clear just how much the excitement and energy around Big Data continues to grow. For those of us at Syncsort, it was a great week!
Here are some of my favorite highlights:
- Syncsort formally announced that we have joined the Hortonworks Technology Partner Program and that DMExpress is certified for the Hortonworks Data Platform. We are very excited about this partnership and think it will be valuable for our mutual customers and partners. We were also pleased to be able to support our partners at Hortonworks by participating in one of their press releases around the launch.
- Mitch Seigle, Syncsort’s VP of Marketing and Product Management, was interviewed live from the Hadoop Summit on theCUBE. Wikibon’s Big Data expert Jeff Kelly and SiliconAngle’s John Furrier did a great job this week in leading interesting discussions on a variety of topics.
- During Arun Murthy’s session “Hadoop MapReduce: What’s Next?” he discussed contributions that are shaping the next release of Hadoop. He talked about several JIRA tickets, but he specifically mentioned the pluggable sort contribution that Syncsort has opened. This ticket proposes a pluggable sort. The session was attended by well over 300 attendees, and there was a tremendous amount of support expressed after this session to the Syncsort folks at the Summit about this being a great idea.
- Who knows about comScore? Mike Brown, their CTO, literally presented to a packed house on Wednesday. People were sitting on the floor and the fire marshal had to turn people away. Mike talked about their exploding data growth and how they use Hadoop to not only tackle their existing data volumes, but to ensure they can scale. When asked about ETL, Mike didn’t miss a beat in answering that “Syncsort DMExpress” is their choice. We are lucky to have great customers like Mike.
- There was just a great buzz all week at the show and about Syncsort’s participation in the broader Big Data and Hadoop ecosystem. We had great pick up of our news announcements in the United States as well as in Europe, and CRN magazine named DMExpress one of the 21 hot Big Data technologies to check out at Hadoop Summit. Pretty cool!
The best part of all of this is that we are only getting started. It is going to be an exciting year ahead not only for Hadoop, but for Syncsort too. We look forward to enjoying the ride with everyone!